Saturday, March 16, 2019

#kasilife


Kasi life

Kasi life we know started out as being, a place where anyone that fell outside of the white race, back in the apartheid era, was basically relocated there like a squatter camp situation. Over the years though it became more than oppression, it is a support system for many, it is a lifestyle, it is the net result of a person’s character for a lot of people including me. I don’t know if I would consider myself a Kasi girl anymore? But I grew up in Mabopane, otherwise known as Bopline, Pretoria ko di B and I moved out when I was 6 years. For me kasi was rough because I used to be the little girl that was soft and sweet so my so called “friends” at that time used to bully me and these were kids that stayed near my house. This contributed to my hard, sometimes outspoken character that I have now. Public relations is all about building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders there’s also some creation of publicity as well. Kasi is well known for its turn ups, they have car washes which are a vibe, kota places (chillie pepper), places like Busy Corner and Vilakazi street. These are well known places among kasi residents, anything you could ever need and want kasi provides, you don’t need to wake up, put on your best clothes and go buy simple things like bread and eggs, in kasi these things are simply just a walk away. Kasi is a community that can stand on its own it’s just that a lot of these things people do not know about them because when a person hears the word kasi the first thing they think of is crime and poverty when it’s so much more and has so much potential. This is an opportunity for public relations to utilize social media to create awareness and promote all of these things/places, the challenge would be the crime but maybe if enough awareness is created, crime would decrease. They need to show the positive side of eKasi and there’s nothing that can reach the masses like social media

12 comments:

  1. I agree social media platform are a great tool to use to engage but also the idea of anonymity within these platforms needs to be considered, as an individual I would find it extremely hard to tell people about my problems knowing that my personal information was going to be disclosed to the public.

    Technology is taking over....even my gran is on our family WhatsApp group posting church functions dates so no one has an excuse for missing them haha����‍♂️....in terms of the technological generation gap I feel it’s soon going to be non existent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, I haven't actually thought about it that way.

      Delete
  2. Well said dear sipirt like everything that u said about kasi people just thing that staying in soweto aka kasi is not cool but it is the best place to be causes we know each other and we protect each other sipirt to kasi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is its own community, everyone looks after one another and if you've noticed people that move out of ekasi spend a lot of their time there instead of the area where they stay

      Delete
  3. As an individual just be yourself no matter what,don't try to change for people or anything cause that could result in you being effected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true, because if you flow with the wind then people are going to end up making you look like an idiot

      Delete
  4. I agree about drugs and social media as a platform to raise awareness but it also starts at home cause this topic has to be drilled from the foundation of the child's life, so family should play a role before social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true and also most parents avoid certain topics with their children because they find them hard to talk about, so if that could be enforced in schools as well (primary and high schools) maybe that could help too

      Delete
  5. Well written . You forgot to include that the best food ama chips and Kota come from Kasi��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, sometimes i find myself longing for a kota or spatlo as we call it where i come from.

      Delete
  6. Kasi life truly is more than that. Me being from the burbs and visting family and friends in the kasi you really do feel a whole new atmosphere. It's a vibrant place and could make anyone who would stay there happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and sometimes we also find ourselves wanting to visit family from ekasi and counting the days when schools close just so we can leave the burbs.

    ReplyDelete

#DrugsDistroyLives

Drugs Destroy Lives Let’s start by defining what drugs are because we not just referring to your cocaine and crystal meth , alcohol co...